找回密码
 加入我们
搜索

查看: 2562|回复: 5

[PC硬件] John Carmack: Hardware Physics A Bad Idea

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-8-22 17:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
消息来源: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Carmack-PhysX-PPU-QuakeCon,8513.html

id Software's John Carmack spoke out against hardware-based physics at QuakeCon 2009, and it wasn't pretty.

How does it feel when one of the biggest developers of this erathinks your product is a big waste of time and money? That kind ofopinion is like a swift kick in the groin, but that's basically what idSoftware's John Carmack said--not in private behind closed doors--butduring a Q&A session at QuakeCon 2009 when asked about his thoughtson hardware physics.

"I think I was fairly public about mythinking that that was a really bad idea, and in fact it was prettyclear to me from early on that the whole idea for that was to do astartup to be acquired," he answered.

As he indicated, Carmack made his feelings regarding hardware-based physics well known in the past (story),stating that he wasn't a "believer" in physics processing units (PPUs),and that multiple CPU cores would be much more useful in general. Healso previously said that some tasks would work just fine when GPUsfinally get "reasonably fine-grained context switching and scheduling."

Buthis answer during the QuakeCon 2009 Q&A session seemed more like anattack on Ageia and its PhysX PPU that was eventually assimilated bythe Nvidia collective. "I actually had a really quite negative opinionabout stuff like that because they went out, they evangelized, they gotsome people to buy a piece of hardware that I didn't think was actuallya good technical direction for things on there; certainly was going tobe supplanted by later generations of more integrated compute resourceson there," he continued. "I don't think it was a good idea, I certainlywasn't a backer of the company, and I hope NVIDIA didn't pay a wholelot of money for them."

Ouch. To catch the full-blown attack on hardware-based physics, check out Carmack in action captured here on YouTube.
发表于 2009-8-22 17:43 | 显示全部楼层
I don't think it was a good idea, I certainlywasn't a backer of the company, and I hope NVIDIA didn't pay a wholelot of money for them. */-93*/-93
发表于 2009-8-22 17:43 | 显示全部楼层
*/-27有英语帝否?
发表于 2009-8-22 18:02 | 显示全部楼层
大意就是这个啥认为NV的硬件物理加速不咋的 浪费时间和金钱
发表于 2009-8-22 18:26 | 显示全部楼层
有没有物理加速照样玩游戏
发表于 2009-8-22 19:09 | 显示全部楼层
那玩意儿现在看来本来就没啥用,只能做些比较简单的特效,并且玩家也并不能从中得到更为真实的体验或更为华丽的视觉。physx也快走到头了,因为dx11就要来了
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入我们

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|Chiphell ( 沪ICP备12027953号-5 )沪公网备310112100042806 上海市互联网违法与不良信息举报中心

GMT+8, 2020-11-26 10:00 , Processed in 0.009776 second(s), 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.